Thursday, October 25, 2012

October 25, 2012 - Ghosts and the Supernatural in MG


rachelgrinti Hi all! It's #mglitchat time again -- just in time for Halloween, we're talking ghosts and other supernatural creatures. -9:01 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               

               
JoWhittemore Hey, hey, boys and ghouls! It's time for another #MGLitchat! #mglitchat -9:01 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
michaelascotto @RosanneParry Very impressive! #mglitchat -9:01 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
lisabrowndraws My fav topic RT @rachelgrinti:It's #mglitchat time - just in time for Halloween, we're talking ghosts and other supernatural creatures. -9:02 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
ilanawaters @rachelgrinti OMG! *supernatural creature fangirl squeal* I'm so glad I made this #mglitchat! -9:02 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
elliefalcone Supernatural -- my favorite subject. #mglitchat -9:02 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
Bec_AS MG supernatural is about as scary as I like to get. I'm not one for adult horror movies, etc. #MGLitChat -9:03 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
lshullinger @elliefalcone Me, too! #mglitchat -9:03 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
ilanawaters @elliefalcone Yes, I'm naturally super, so it's an easy topic for me. ;-) #sarcastichumblebrag @ #mglitchat Oh and hi! *waves* -9:03 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
PBWorkshop Just an FYI in honor of all things spooky- current issue of #HornBook has Neil Gaiman article- What the #*@& is a kids book! #mglitchat -9:04 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
story_queen I like 'em. Ghosts, I mean. Always wished there was more Nearly Headless Nick in Harry Potter. #mglitchat -9:04 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
rachelgrinti There are a lot of MG ghost stories out there -- any favorites? #mglitchat -9:05 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
elliefalcone I'll be back. I need to reboot my modem and router. It's slower than molasses in the middle of January. #mglitchat -9:05 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore So...let's jump right into this! How scary is too scary for Middle Grade, when it comes to things that go bump in the night? #mglitchat -9:05 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
Bec_AS @story_queen Reading Book 2 with DD, he just got turned into black fog. #MGLitChat -9:05 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
ilanawaters @story_queen I used to love ghost stories as a kid. Now, ironically, am scared to death of them. #punintended #mglitchat -9:05 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
PBWorkshop Just read Kathi Appelt's #Underneath- amazing! Avoided it until now due to animal issues. Where does mythology fit in this topic? #mglitchat -9:05 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
lisabrowndraws @JoWhittemore How scary is too scary? Depends on the kid. No one size of scary fits all #mglitchat -9:05 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
lshullinger @rachelgrinti Wait Till Helen Comes, Mary Downing Hahn #mglitchat -9:05 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
kateweissduncan Clockwork by Philip Pullman is one of my all time favorites (hi everyone!) #mglitchat -9:06 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
rachelgrinti @ilanawaters @story_queen I was just typing the same thing -- I'm pretty easily creeped out by ghost stories. #mglitchat -9:06 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
NALitChat @TeriHarman @LM_Preston The Last Apprentice books are phenomenal and totally spooky #NALitChat #MGLitChat -9:06 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
PBWorkshop A Monster Calls was remarkable- blends external scary with internal scary, perfectly, IMO. #mglitchat -9:06 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
JoanneLevy Whee! I mean woooooo! "@JoWhittemore: Hey, hey, boys and ghouls! It's time for another #MGLitchat! #mglitchat" -9:06 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
RosanneParry @michaelascotto Pendleton picked Heart of a Shepherd for their 1 City 1 Book. It was great fun & they put me up at a horse motel! #mglitchat -9:07 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
ilanawaters @story_queen Also, not that it makes huge dif, but plugged Trinket in author interview I did. Thought it might give U a happy. #mglitchat -9:07 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
lshullinger @lisabrowndraws @JoWhittemore So, true! My 3 kids had their different scary levels :-) #mglitchat -9:07 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
rachelgrinti Too scary absolutely depends on the kid. Past 2 weeks my 4-6 grader writing group has been telling ghost stories. #mglitchat -9:07 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
lisabrowndraws I adore ghosty things (right, @adelegriffin?) and have since I was a tot. #mglitchat Georgie the Ghost picture books, anyone? -9:07 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
JoWhittemore @lisabrowndraws Well, yes, but there has to be an acceptable limit of what you expose an 8-year-old to, yes? #mglitchat -9:07 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
story_queen @JoWhittemore Every kid's threshold is different, I think. However, there seems to be a limit as to how graphic you can be in mg. #mglitchat -9:07 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
JoWhittemore @JoanneLevy Hey, you! :) #mglitchat -9:07 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
ilanawaters LOL re: "one size." RT @lisabrowndraws: @JoWhittemore How scary is too scary? Depends on the kid. No one size of scary fits all #mglitchat -9:07 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
NatalieLorenzi Cliff McNish's BREATHE won its category in the Virginia Readers Choice last year. Kids who adore scary books loved this one. #mglitchat -9:08 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
rachelgrinti One 6th grader told a lot of stories about experiencing ghosts, the other jumped at the mention of creaking floors. #mglitchat -9:08 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
story_queen @ilanawaters Aw, thank you! That was very sweet:) #mglitchat -9:08 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
ilanawaters @rachelgrinti @story_queen And it's creepy we were typing @ SAME TIME!! #supernatural? #maybe... #mglitchat -9:08 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
lisabrowndraws @JoWhittemore I guess, but we can't make a hard and fast rule. #mglitchat -9:08 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
JoanneLevy @JoWhittemore Hiya - I heard ghosts were on the table tonight. #mglitchat -9:08 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
PBWorkshop @ilanawaters Earwig and the Witch is a fantastic "first step" beyond fairy tale scary into funny/creepy scary. Earwig rocks! #mglitchat -9:09 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
kellypolark @lisabrowndraws @JoWhittemore So true. My 2 boys scare easier than my daughter. Definitely depends on the kid. #mglitchat -9:09 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
lisabrowndraws And behind the curtains. And in the attic. Boo! RT @JoanneLevy: @JoWhittemore Hiya - I heard ghosts were on the table tonight. #mglitchat -9:09 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
story_queen @Bec_AS Alas, poor Nick! #mglitchat -9:09 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
JoWhittemore @JoanneLevy Who do you think's holding up the floating candelabra? Muahahaha! #mglitchat -9:09 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
ilanawaters @PBWorkshop Thanks for the rec! :-) #babysteps #mglitchat -9:10 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
kateweissduncan The opening scene of The Graveyard Book by @neilhimself was pretty terrifying for some of the youngins #mglitchat -9:10 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
PBWorkshop @JoWhittemore Seems like kids who crave it might be those who have some inner demons of their own? Need "safe" versions? #mglitchat -9:10 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
lisabrowndraws My son will read "real" tales of haunted houses and is too scared to watch Scooby Doo Cartoons…cont. #mglitchat. I -9:10 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
NatalieLorenzi GHOST IN THE HOUSE by Ammi-Joan Paquette is a PB coming from Candlewick next summer. #mglitchat -9:10 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
elliefalcone @kateweissduncan I didn't like it too much either. #mglitchat -9:10 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
Bec_AS My 2 year has started telling stories that always end with a lil girl being eaten. But we have have other issues to deal with... #MGLitChat -9:10 PM Oct 25th, 2012              
               
               
lisabrowndraws …cont. I do think that kids can handle scarier in books than they can in other media. #mglitchat -9:11 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
story_queen When I was a kid, I would read the ending of a scary story 1st to see if I was brave enough to continue. #mglitchat -9:11 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
RosanneParry @story_queen @JoWhittemore I think cruelty is more problematic than suspense. Spooky noises in the dark Yes. Torture, not so much #mglitchat -9:11 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
rachelgrinti Recently read All the Lovely Bad Ones by Mary Downing Hahn, full of neglected dead children and dealt with suicide more than once #mglitchat -9:11 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
PBWorkshop @ilanawaters Always happy to placate inner demons... *there, there, everything will be okay* #mglitchat -9:11 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
lshullinger @lisabrowndraws lol aren't kids interesting? #mglitchat -9:11 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
nomadshan We hosted RL Stine @TheMagikTheatre last year. His fans want him to scare their socks off! #mglitchat -9:11 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
Bec_AS @story_queen I STILL do that--with ALL books. #reasonidontlikeereaders #MGLitChat -9:12 PM Oct 25th, 2012
               
               
NatalieLorenzi @lisabrowndraws @JoWhittemore Yes! Kids are good at knowing when to put down a book & when to keep reading. #mglitchat -9:12 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
story_queen @kateweissduncan @neilhimself Loved that book! Changed the way I thought about writing. #mglitchat -9:12 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
DayseD RT @lisabrowndraws: My son will read "real" tales of haunted houses and is too scared to watch Scooby Doo Cartoons…cont. #mglitchat. I -9:12 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
DayseD RT @lisabrowndraws: …cont. I do think that kids can handle scarier in books than they can in other media. #mglitchat -9:12 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
lisabrowndraws I have a Tumblr where kids can post ghost stories and they can get pretty darn scary. #mglitchat http://t.co/5sBnTsRj -9:12 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
rachelgrinti @Bec_AS @story_queen Yep I've definitely been known to peek at the end of a book. #mglitchat -9:13 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
ilanawaters @Bec_AS This is why you should stop serving small children at dinner. ;-P #ewww #nooo!! #mglitchat -9:13 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
JoanneLevy @RosanneParry Great point about the suspense yes, cruelty not so much. #mglitchat -9:13 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
ilanawaters *backs away from @PBWorkshop slowly* *veeery slowly* #mglitchat -9:13 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore @rachelgrinti I've been known to hide a book in the closet (The Stand) #mglitchat -9:13 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
NatalieLorenzi @lisabrowndraws So true--without that movie soundtrack, scary is easier to take when you can shut the book. :-) #mglitchat -9:14 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
lisabrowndraws RT @RosanneParry: I think cruelty is more problematic than suspense. Spooky noises in the dark Yes. Torture, not so much #mglitchat -9:14 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
story_queen @rachelgrinti @Bec_AS I think I could read something scary if I knew that the monster (or whatev) could be defeated. #mglitchat -9:14 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
PBWorkshop @NatalieLorenzi Including a little help from the narrator, as in Tale Dark and Grimm/Through a Glass Darkly. #mglitchat -9:14 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore For me, ghosts and ethereal things are much scarier than corporeal evil. Wolfman? Imma lay the smack down! #mglitchat -9:14 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
lshullinger @JoWhittemore @rachelgrinti LOL too funny! #mglitchat -9:14 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
elliefalcone Do you think spooky stories with a dash of funny is more appreciated by kids than full on spooky? #mglitchat -9:14 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
JoWhittemore But Casper? I leave the area code. #mglitchat -9:14 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
story_queen @JoWhittemore @rachelgrinti I just had to hide the Diviners. There are a couple of scare my socks of scenes. #mglitchat -9:15 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
lisabrowndraws It's all fun and games until someone gets eaten RT @Bec_AS: 2 yr old telling stories that always end with a lil girl being eaten. #MGLitChat -9:15 PM Oct 25th, 2012
               
               
elliefalcone @JoWhittemore Interesting. Any clue why? #mglitchat -9:15 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
ilanawaters @nomadshan @TheMagikTheatre OMG what was he like? I LOVED him as a kid. Er, his books, I mean. I didn't know him personally, obv.#mglitchat -9:15 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
Bec_AS @story_queen @rachelgrinti Also, I peek ahead if it's getting too intense in a scene. #MGLitChat -9:16 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
lshullinger @elliefalcone I hope so! That's why I wrote my two like I did. I think humor eases the fright a bit. #mglitchat -9:16 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
lisabrowndraws For younger kids, it helps. RT @elliefalcone: spooky stories w/ a dash of funny is more appreciated by kids than full on spooky? #mglitchat -9:16 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
PBWorkshop Agreed>RT @lshullinger: @elliefalcone I hope so! Thats why I wrote my two like I did. I think humor eases the fright a bit. #mglitchat -9:16 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
KristineAsselin My DD LOVES Tale Dark and Grimm by @AdamGidwitz She's way braver than I was at that age. #mglitchat -9:16 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
JoWhittemore @elliefalcone I think it feels easier to defeat something you can decapitate or put a silver bullet through. #mglitchat -9:16 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
matt_janacone Here I am! Here I am! What we talkin' about? #mglitchat -9:16 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
ilanawaters Sorry, but I must do quick, off-topic plug that I promised someone I would do (please forgive me). Here it comes...#mglitchat -9:16 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
JoanneLevy @JoWhittemore Casper was hardly a scary dude. #mglitchat -9:17 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
NatalieLorenzi @NatalieLorenzi @lisabrowndraws True! But it can also spur kids on...and, um, some adults who happen to read MG. ;-) #mglitchat -9:17 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
Bec_AS @lisabrowndraws @ilanawaters Seriously! Every time! It's usually a wolf or dragon in the middle of a forest... #MGLitChat -9:17 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
JoWhittemore @story_queen If you hide the book in a dresser under clothes, it can't get you. #mglitchat -9:17 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
nomadshan @ilanawaters Really nice guy. Very gracious to the scads of kids lining up for signatures. #mglitchat -9:17 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
story_queen I wrote a ghost (or two) in my mg. I'll admit, kind of creeped myself out. #mglitchat -9:17 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
elliefalcone @lshullinger I hope so too because that's all I write. Mostly. #mglitchat -9:17 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
ilanawaters If you need #computer & #website help, @LegrandEnt is your go-to company. Reliable and dependable--really!! #mglitchat -9:18 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
PBWorkshop @JoWhittemore making a note of that... Like eating cookies over the sink cancels the calories? #mglitchat -9:18 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
ilanawaters Okay, I'm done. *blushes* Thanks for listening. It really is a great company--saved my buns a bunch of times. #mglitchat -9:18 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
elliefalcone @JoWhittemore Makes sense. #mglitchat -9:18 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
NatalieLorenzi @lisabrowndraws @elliefalcone I think so, just as a bit of comic relief does in scary films. Scaredy cats like me need that! #mglitchat -9:18 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
rachelgrinti @lisabrowndraws I think that's true. As a kid, I put scary books down, came back later (and turned creepy covers face down!) #mglitchat -9:18 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
matt_janacone I don't read too much scary mg fiction. #mglitchat -9:19 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
JoWhittemore @JoanneLevy He was a dead boy that wouldn't go into the light. That's enough for Jo to call Venkman. #mglitchat -9:19 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
KristineAsselin I personally like a dash of humor with my spooky. Sort of in a Goonies way. #mglitchat -9:19 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
lisabrowndraws @rachelgrinti I had one Nancy Drew book that I had to keep in my closet, the cover scared me so bad. #mglitchat -9:19 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
ilanawaters @nomadshan Wow. I'd still love to meet him, even though I'm *almost* grown-up. Sigh. <3 #mglitchat -9:19 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
JoWhittemore @rachelgrinti Every time my Entertainment Weekly comes and there's Walking Dead on the cover, I have to flip it over. #mglitchat -9:19 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
elliefalcone RT @NatalieLorenzi: @lisabrowndraws I think so, just as a bit of comic relief does in scary films. Scaredy cats like me need that #mglitchat -9:20 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
lshullinger @ilanawaters @nomadshan Oh me, too! I read over 30 of R.L. Stine's kids' books before I began mine. #mglitchat -9:21 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoanneLevy @JoWhittemore ha ha ha. Ok, got it. #mglitchat -9:21 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
elliefalcone Do you think humor lessens the spook factor in books for older mg? #mglitchat -9:21 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
JoanneLevy My book has probably the LEAST spooky ghosts ever written. #mglitchat -9:21 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
ixtumea @JoWhittemore I'm with you. I can't deal with those photos of The Walking Dead. #mglitchat -9:22 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
JoWhittemore @PBWorkshop Oooh. I never knew that! Must carry a sink with me at all times now! #mglitchat -9:22 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
matt_janacone @elliefalcone I would hope it does. #mglitchat -9:22 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
Bec_AS @elliefalcone Depends where the humor occurs in the text. Same scene, yes. #Mglitchat -9:22 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
lshullinger @elliefalcone I guess it depends where and how often it is placed throughout the book. #mglitchat -9:22 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
nomadshan @lshullinger @ilanawaters My output will be forever dwarfed by his 300+ books. #mglitchat -9:23 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
ixtumea @JoWhittemore My 11 yr old told me the other day, "Uh, mommy. I think I can handle Goosebumps now." #mglitchat -9:23 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
lisabrowndraws RT @lisabrowndraws: This cover! It scared me so much I had to hide it! http://t.co/R5IQNma7 #mglitchat @rachelgrinti -9:23 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
story_queen @JoWhittemore But never under the bed!! Don't hide scary books under bed! They come out at midnight! #mglitchat -9:23 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
Bec_AS @elliefalcone Depends where it occurs in the text. Same scene, yes. #Mglitchat -9:23 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
KristineAsselin Does spooky always means ghosts? #mglitchat -9:23 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
JoWhittemore @ixtumea Awww. Hahaha! #mglitchat -9:23 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
matt_janacone I wouldn't read a scary mg novel unless it has homoror comic relief in it. #mglitchat -9:23 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
rachelgrinti @JoanneLevy Your book flies off the display at the library. And I heard a girl say she thinks the title is so cool. :) #mglitchat -9:23 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
ixtumea Though we did have to take out some of his scary books as he kept getting nightmares. #mglitchat -9:24 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
KristineAsselin LOL. Awesome!RT @lisabrowndraws: This cover! It scared me so much I had to hide it! http://t.co/shGKR8z6 #mglitchat @rachelgrinti #mglitchat -9:24 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
elliefalcone I'm just trying to find the right combination of spook with a dose of humor but not too much humor that it's comic. Make sense? #mglitchat -9:24 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
matt_janacone I think humor is necessary in mg novels. #mglitchat -9:24 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
JoanneLevy @rachelgrinti Thank you! All good to know. :-D #mglitchat -9:24 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
rachelgrinti That's awesome RT @lisabrowndraws: This cover! It scared me so much I had to hide it! http://t.co/LMyajcqP #mglitchat @rachelgrinti -9:24 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
ixtumea It's interesting to hear what tweens actually think of MG bks & scary ones. What I think is ok? Son & friends think too scary. #mglitchat -9:24 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
nomadshan Scariest character in #mg: Coraline's Other Mother. Her insistence on giving Coraline button eyes did me in. #mglitchat -9:25 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore @rachelgrinti @JoanneLevy Oooh. The book "flies" off the shelves? That's serious Levytation. Bahahaha! #mglitchat -9:25 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
nomadshan What #mg character(s) freak you out most? #mglitchat -9:25 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
kateweissduncan does anyone remember Time Windows by Kathryn Reiss? I LOVED that book as a kid. i think it was one the first #mg books i owned #mglitchat -9:25 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
elliefalcone @KristineAsselin In my world, yes. lol #mglitchat -9:25 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
JoanneLevy @JoWhittemore Oy. @rachelgrinti #mglitchat -9:25 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
lshullinger @ixtumea @JoWhittemore Oh, that's so cute! I can picture my granddaughter saying that someday :-) #mglitchat -9:26 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
kateweissduncan @nomadshan http://t.co/5M5vaFQS creeeepy eyes! #mglitchat -9:26 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
JoWhittemore @JoanneLevy @rachelgrinti Oh, you know you loved it. #mglitchat -9:26 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
ilanawaters @nomadshan @lshullinger Oh dear. We have a long way to go. But we're not done yet!! #mglitchat -9:26 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
AudryT Tweens seem to handle levels of scary differently, depending on personality, and how adults around them help them process fear. #mglitchat -9:26 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
KristineAsselin Loved The GraveYard Book--the ghosts were the least scary part of the story. :) #mglitchat -9:26 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
JoanneLevy @JoWhittemore it's true. @rachelgrinti #mglitchat -9:27 PM Oct 25th, 2012
               
               
elliefalcone The scariest mg I ever read was The Doll House Murders, I think that's what it's called. #mglitchat -9:27 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
ilanawaters @JoWhittemore @rachelgrinti @JoanneLevy Stop. You're "killing" me. ;-P #mglitchat -9:27 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
story_queen @nomadshan Aaaauuugghh! Could not watch that movie trailer!! Coraline=too scary for me! #mglitchat -9:27 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
AudryT It's certainly appreciated. RT @matt_janacone: I think humor is necessary in mg novels. #mglitchat -9:27 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
JoanneLevy Oh no you didn't! @ilanawaters: @JoWhittemore @rachelgrinti @JoanneLevy Stop. You're "killing" me. ;-P #mglitchat -9:28 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
ixtumea I do know son didn't want to see latest Disney/Tim Burton movie. #mglitchat -9:28 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
elliefalcone http://t.co/uXr9f3Sf #mglitchat -9:28 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
nomadshan YIKE!!! RT @kateweissduncan: http://t.co/Avi4ILmH creeeepy eyes! #mglitchat -9:29 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
ixtumea This one Graphic novel pub sent me some Halloween graphic novels that tween son picked up and said, "Too scary." #mglitchat -9:29 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
ixtumea And yes, son does go through my YA graphic novels. I love to read paranormals. #mglitchat -9:29 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
matt_janacone Carl Hiaasen has some scary themes in his mg novels. 'Scat'. #mglitchat -9:30 PM Oct 25th, 2012
               
               
kateweissduncan @nomadshan just in case you wanted to be Coraline (or her other mother) for Halloween #mglitchat -9:30 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
JoWhittemore How do we feel about supernatural main characters? Or do we need them to be human so we can relate? #mglitchat -9:30 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
elliefalcone Now you all got me worried that mine might be too scary. I'll see what editor says. #mglitchat -9:30 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
ixtumea RT @JoWhittemore: How do we feel about supernatural main characters? Or do we need them to be human so we can relate? #mglitchat -9:30 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
rachelgrinti @kateweissduncan @nomadshan Sooo creepy! (And hi Kate!) #mglitchat -9:30 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
lshullinger @ixtumea Was it Paranorman? #mglitchat -9:30 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
ilanawaters @JoanneLevy @JoWhittemore @rachelgrinti Ha-ha--no one stands a ghost of a chance against me! And you changed your pic! :-0 #mglitchat -9:30 PM Oct 25th, 2012              
               
               
matt_janacone Is horror even appropriate without humor in mg fiction? #mglitchat -9:31 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
PBWorkshop @ixtumea Recent GN- Cardboard is a very complex and creepy story, but works out almost fairy-tale-like in the end. Pinocchio-ish? #mglitchat -9:31 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
ixtumea @lshullinger No, we saw that one and loved it. The Disney/Tim Burton one is based on Frankenstein and a dog. #mglitchat -9:31 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoanneLevy @elliefalcone that looks creepy. #mglitchat -9:31 PM Oct 25th, 2012              
               
               
kateweissduncan @rachelgrinti hello :-) #mglitchat -9:31 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
dianezahler @JoWhittemore What characters do you have in mind? #mglitchat -9:31 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
JoanneLevy @ilanawaters I did. I didn't feel like being a ghost clown anymore. #mglitchat -9:31 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
rachelgrinti @JoWhittemore I don't think they need to be human. Bartimeus is a demon, but I think people relate to him more than the kid. #mglitchat -9:31 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
story_queen When I was a kid, I was terrified of stories re: Headless Horseman. So of course, it's in my current repertoire as a storyteller. #mglitchat -9:32 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JeanGiardina Joining #mglitchat late. Hope you saved some ghosts for me. -9:32 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
elliefalcone What she said. RT @dianezahler: @JoWhittemore What characters do you have in mind? #mglitchat -9:32 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
rachelgrinti Sure, I don't see why not. RT @matt_janacone: Is horror even appropriate without humor in mg fiction? #mglitchat -9:33 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
elliefalcone @JoanneLevy It was. I read it as an adult and got scared. #mglitchat -9:33 PM Oct 25th, 2012              
               
               
ilanawaters @JoanneLevy Ah, so now you are sock monkey. I see. *strokes chin* It's cute! #mglitchat -9:34 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
ixtumea Son was totally into writing zombie stories. When he was 8-9 he was fascinated with zombies. #mglitchat -9:34 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
KristineAsselin I think kids know if they can't handle scary and will steer to other categories. Other kids love to be scared. #mglitchat -9:35 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
ixtumea You should have seen some of those illustrations in his writer's workshop books. #mglitchat -9:35 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
elliefalcone I think the Gilda Joyce series is a good mix of scary and funny. Ladies of the Lake comes to mind. #mglitchat -9:35 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
ixtumea I really think the whole horror thing depends on the child and their age. #mglitchat -9:35 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
JoanneLevy <---back to Bubby Dora ghost for tonight's #mglitchat -9:35 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
elliefalcone @KristineAsselin Exactly. #mglitchat -9:35 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
matt_janacone It doesn't even have to be Halloween horror. It could be the horror of giving a class speech or nervous about kissing a girl. #mglitchat -9:35 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
ixtumea Son was interested in knowing about my own paranormal story I wrote asking questions about Stephanie's rescuing job. #mglitchat -9:36 PM Oct 25th, 2012              
               
               
KristineAsselin As I kid I was terrified of the Wicked Witch of the West. My kid laughed the first time she saw Oz. Not sure where she came from. #mglitchat -9:36 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
rachelgrinti @matt_janacone Or nervous about kissing a ghost. What if you go right throooooouuuughhhhhh #mglitchat -9:36 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
kateweissduncan @KristineAsselin: I think kids know if they cant handle scary // me too #mglitchat -9:37 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
JeanGiardina As a kid, I loved scary stories because they made me feel more confident. Facing our fears is a big part of growing up. #mglitchat -9:37 PM Oct 25th, 2012
               
               
ixtumea I can speak for 10-11 year olds and say humor does help. Humor, illustrations work in horror tales. #mglitchat -9:37 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
matt_janacone There is a black panther in "Scat'. #mglitchat -9:37 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
ilanawaters @JoanneLevy Ooo--apropos! :-) #mglitchat #ENHANCE -9:37 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
ixtumea Also the 'gross' factor and potty humor are huge with this age group. #mglitchat -9:37 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
PBWorkshop Do you think TV series (TAPS, etc) has de-mist-ified (sorry for the bad pun) ghosts for kids? #mglitchat -9:37 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
JeanGiardina @KristineAsselin The flying monkeys terrified me. #mglitchat -9:38 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
JuleeMurphy Scary titles: Scary Stories to tell in the Dark, anything by Mary Downing Hahn, Miss Peregrines Home Peculiar Children, #mglitchat -9:38 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
elliefalcone Funnily enough, I liked scary stories more as a kid than I do now. Scary movies? Pfft, can't even look at 'em. #chicken #mglitchat -9:38 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
matt_janacone Of course, bullies can be scary in mg lit. #mglitchat -9:38 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore @elliefalcone @dianezahler I honestly can't think of any beyond Bartimaeus as @rachelgrinti said. But there have to be more! #mglitchat -9:38 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
rachelgrinti At work a lot of kids have been asking for "true" scary stories, like local haunted places and things like that. #mglitchat -9:39 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
PBWorkshop @JeanGiardina That's how A Monster Calls excels- shows the monsters we fear may be those inside ourselves. #mglitchat -9:39 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
KristineAsselin LOL. By the time I could stay up late enough for that part, I could handle it. RT @JeanGiardina: The flying monkeys terrified me. #mglitchat -9:39 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
JoanneLevy @JeanGiardina Yes re: Facing fears! #mglitchat -9:39 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
kateweissduncan RT @JeanGiardina: @KristineAsselin The flying monkeys terrified me. // omg those monkeys were scary #mglitchat -9:39 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JeanGiardina My kids love scary books but hate scary movies. There's something about the format of a book that makes it easier to handle. #mglitchat -9:39 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
PBWorkshop @JuleeMurphy Scary Stories to tell in the Dark amazes me at how constantly popular it is. #mglitchat -9:39 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
JoWhittemore @rachelgrinti True. That kid was a twerp! #mglitchat -9:40 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
matt_janacone There is Bugsy in 'Encyclopedia Brown'. #mglitchat Classic bully. -9:40 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
JoanneLevy @elliefalcone I'm okay with gore, but can't handle surprises and suspense as well as I used to. Also a #chicken. #mglitchat -9:40 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
KristineAsselin Agree 100% RT @JeanGiardina: Something about the format of a book that makes scary easier to handle. #mglitchat -9:40 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoanneLevy @JeanGiardina You can close a book and put it down. #mglitchat -9:40 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
kateweissduncan @rachelgrinti I've been selling Big Book of Pennsylvania Ghost Stories a lot this week #mglitchat -9:41 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
JeanGiardina @PBWorkshop Just got goosebumps. A MONSTER CALLS is terrifying and wonderful all at once. I recommend it all the time. #mglitchat -9:41 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
lshullinger @JeanGiardina Yes. there's no blaring of music and immediate up-in-your-face grossness like in a movie.. #mglitchat -9:41 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
DsBSC @matt_janacone growing up i loved 'Encyclopedia Brown'. Cant remember anything about it now tough. #mglitchat -9:41 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
DsBSC RT @rachelgrinti: @matt_janacone Or nervous about kissing a ghost. What if you go right throooooouuuughhhhhh #mglitchat -9:42 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
elliefalcone @JoWhittemore Oh, I know. The Old Willis Place by Hahn had two kids that were main-ish both not real. #mglitchat -9:42 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore @PBWorkshop That was THE SCARIEST book when I was a kid. Especially the scarecrow who skinned the farmer and dried out the skin. #mglitchat -9:42 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
JeanGiardina @JoanneLevy Yep. Process it, come to grips with it, steel your nerves and open the book again. Each return is a small victory. #mglitchat -9:42 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
rachelgrinti Yeah I bet! RT @kateweissduncan: @rachelgrinti I've been selling Big Book of Pennsylvania Ghost Stories a lot this week #mglitchat -9:43 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
PBWorkshop @JoWhittemore And most of the stories are such chestnuts (or resemble old tales) you'd think kids would have heard at campfires. #mglitchat -9:43 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
dianezahler @JoanneLevy And book is only as scary as your imagination allows it to be. A movie is as scary as it wants to be. #mglitchat -9:43 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JeanGiardina @lshullinger Agree! A book is internal. #mglitchat -9:44 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
kateweissduncan @rachelgrinti you could not have PAID me to read that as a kid #mglitchat -9:44 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
JoWhittemore @elliefalcone And Cornelia Funke's Ghost Knight has lots o' ghosts. #mglitchat -9:44 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
elliefalcone @JeanGiardina This? http://t.co/v44izv0x #mglitchat -9:44 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
PBWorkshop @dianezahler Plus there is the "group freak out" factor when watching movies. Unrelenting. #mglitchat -9:44 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
JoanneLevy Yes! RT @dianezahler: And book is only as scary as your imagination allows it to be. A movie is as scary as it wants to be. #mglitchat -9:44 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
Bethyo @JeanGiardina Maybe how you experience a book is limited to your imagination. The darker the imagination, the scarier the book. #mglitchat -9:45 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
elliefalcone RT @dianezahler: @JoanneLevy And book is only as scary as your imagination allows it to be. A movie is as scary as it wants to be #mglitchat -9:45 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
Bec_AS @dianezahler I've been known to google the end of a movie, too... #MGLitChat -9:45 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
JuleeMurphy The Hearse Song - Scary Stories to SING in the Dark http://t.co/m6EuT7s7 via @youtube #mglitchat -9:45 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
dianezahler @PBWorkshop That's the fun part for kids, tho. I never got it. Still can't watch scary movies, tho I can read scary books. #mglitchat -9:45 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
kateweissduncan @PBWorkshop movies are scarier short term but for me books can be scarier long term Beloved comes to mind #mglitchat -9:45 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
Bec_AS @JeanGiardina Agreed- you can stop more and do it in lil chunks. #MGLitChat -9:46 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
JeanGiardina @rachelgrinti Interesting that they want "true" stories. Is the fact that it may be real make it more scary? #mglitchat -9:46 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
PBWorkshop @elliefalcone Yes- if you haven't read A Monster Calls you've GOT to, soon. #mglitchat -9:46 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
lshullinger @Bec_AS @dianezahler lol #mglitchat -9:46 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
rachelgrinti @kateweissduncan I think those weren't as bad for me, there was more tension if I was invested in a character and worried. #mglitchat -9:46 PM Oct 25th, 2012              
               
               
JuleeMurphy @PBWorkshop I have the whole series. I love the hearse song because my mom used to sing it to me when I was little. #mglitchat -9:47 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
JoWhittemore Are you annoyed if something that is proposed as supernatural turns out to be a hoax (a la Scooby Doo)? #mglitchat -9:47 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore That happened to me recently with an adult book and I vowed to never read the author again. #mglitchat -9:48 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
lshullinger @JeanGiardina @rachelgrinti kids are asking for true stories? hmmm that's interesting #mglitchat -9:48 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
PBWorkshop @JuleeMurphy Did she also sing "The worms go in, the worms go out..."? #mglitchat -9:48 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
kateweissduncan @JoWhittemore that's what i loved about scooby doo! the nasty adults were always trying to pull one over on those smart kids #mglitchat -9:48 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
JeanGiardina @elliefalcone 1000x yes! This, to me, is the perfect horror story. Real, raw, painful. The effort of a soul to heal itself. #mglitchat -9:48 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
rachelgrinti @JeanGiardina I think that's part of it, yeah. They ask about unexplained mysteries, monsters, ghosts, and they want creepy. #mglitchat -9:48 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
PBWorkshop @JoWhittemore If the template has been set (Scooby Doo) it's expected. Annoying if the set-up/expectation is warped. #mglitchat -9:49 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
dianezahler @JoWhittemore Makes me think of Edward Eager & E.Nesbit bks where you aren't quite sure if the magic is real.It should be real! #mglitchat -9:49 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
Bec_AS @JoWhittemore I've heard the flip side of that with the adult "I'm Not a Serial Killer" #MGLitChat -9:49 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
JeanGiardina @JoWhittemore Ugh. That would be like having the rug pulled from beneath your feet. #mglitchat -9:49 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
elliefalcone Ok, you've convinced me. I'm placing a hold on The Monster Calls. #mglitchat -9:49 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
matt_janacone I think horror in mg lit should be used sparingly and humorously. #mglitchat -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
lshullinger @PBWorkshop @JuleeMurphy ewww I had forgotten about that song. Now it will probably be in my mind for the rest of the night lol #mglitchat -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
JoWhittemore @kateweissduncan You'd think Scooby and the Gang would catch on. ;) Then they'd have more time to eat giant sandwiches. #mglitchat -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
KristineAsselin Also annoying when it's predictable. IMO. RT @PBWorkshop: @JoWhittemore If the template has been set (Scooby Doo) its expected. #mglitchat -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
kateweissduncan @PBWorkshop @JoWhittemore but yea it would be quite annoying if it was just a cheap trick to turn the plot on its head #mglitchat -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
ilanawaters @JoWhittemore Yes! Hate that. Want there 2 B magic, and afterlife...SOMEthing. In Sherlock Holmes too. Annoyed the crud out me. #mglitchat -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
JuleeMurphy @PBWorkshop That is it. Singing it now #mglitchat. I just found the whole Scary Stories audio book posted on YouTube. -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
elliefalcone @JoWhittemore Don't like the bait and switch. #mglitchat -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
PBWorkshop Poe! We've neglected poor Edgar! He's typically HS/YA/Adult- do any of his pieces work for MG? #mglitchat -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
JeanGiardina @elliefalcone Also, buy tissues. #mglitchat -9:50 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
JoanneLevy @JoWhittemore I hate being duped. If there are clues/foreshadowing and I misinterpreted that's one thing, but not full out hoax. #mglitchat -9:51 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
JoWhittemore @Bec_AS So, it turned out to be something supernatural? At an unbelievable level, like aliens in the 4th Indiana Jones movie? #mglitchat -9:51 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
dianezahler @PBWorkshop I'd say NO. #mglitchat -9:51 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
kateweissduncan RT @elliefalcone: @JoWhittemore Dont like the bait and switch. // hear hear! #mglitchat -9:51 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
rachelgrinti @matt_janacone And I think some kids really want creepy and scary. There's a reason Mary Downing Hahn is so popular. #mglitchat -9:51 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
matt_janacone Of course, I was always horrified when I had to read a book in school and write a report :( #mglitchat -9:51 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
elliefalcone @JeanGiardina Aww, man. #mglitchat -9:51 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore Thank you all for sharing in my pain of being hoodwinked! ;) #mglitchat -9:52 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
PBWorkshop @JoanneLevy Cheap shots lead to grudges, turn offs. Kids spot it and resent it, too. (But then sometimes try it in their writing) #mglitchat -9:52 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
Bec_AS @JoWhittemore Yes, supernatural and unexpected because there were no supernatural elements until close to the end #MGLitChat -9:52 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
JeanGiardina @PBWorkshop My middle schoolers have been reading Poe for LA/Lit. TELLTALE HEART is a huge favorite. #mglitchat -9:52 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore @ilanawaters Hahaha! You wanted the Hounds of the Baskervilles to truly be hellhounds, didn't you? #mglitchat -9:53 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JoWhittemore @Bec_AS Ugh. Annoying! #mglitchat -9:53 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
PBWorkshop @JeanGiardina That's the one I was thinking of- lubba-dubba, lubba dubba (Oh, no, that's from Slim Goodbody!) #mglitchat -9:54 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
rachelgrinti Hah, I did! RT @JoWhittemore: @ilanawaters Hahaha! You wanted the Hounds of the Baskervilles to truly be hellhounds, didn't you? #mglitchat -9:54 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
Bec_AS @JoWhittemore Oh, and total spoiler, right? Sorry if you were going to read it. :) #MGLitChat -9:54 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
ilanawaters *pats arm* It stings us all, @JoWhittemore. It stings us all. #mglitchat -9:54 PM Oct 25th, 2012           
               
               
JoWhittemore @JoanneLevy I agree. If the clues were there and I missed them, the author is a rock star. If not, the author is a turd. #mglitchat -9:54 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
JeanGiardina @PBWorkshop Correction: 8th grader read Poe. Not in 6th. So maybe not middle grade... #mglitchat -9:55 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
ilanawaters @JoWhittemore I JUST got done re-watching Benedict Cumberbatch rock the hell out of those hounds! Easier to bear w/cheekbones. #mglitchat -9:55 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
JoWhittemore @Bec_AS Hahahahaha! No worries. :) Also, sorry if I spoiled Indiana Jones 4! #mglitchat -9:55 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
ilanawaters @rachelgrinti @JoWhittemore You know which one I really wanted to be true? The vampire one. THAT would've been cool. #mglitchat -9:55 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
JoWhittemore @ilanawaters I loved seeing him get so terrified. You never see Sherlock lose his cool. #mglitchat -9:56 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
JeanGiardina @PBWorkshop I think it works because the kids get the connection to the MCs guilt right away. My son talked about it for days. #mglitchat -9:56 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
dianezahler @JeanGiardina Oh that is grim. And Oedipal. Pit and Pendulum is maybe more accessible? #mglitchat -9:57 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
PBWorkshop @JeanGiardina Nice example of timeless writing, too- lovely doorway to classic literature. #mglitchat -9:57 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
KDuBayGillis BOO!!! #mglitchat -9:57 PM Oct 25th, 2012
               
               
matt_janacone I'm a screenwriter, and cartoons can be pretty scary. #mglitchat -9:57 PM Oct 25th, 2012              
               
               
kateweissduncan RT @ilanawaters: @JoWhittemore I JUST got done re-watching Benedict Cumberbatch rock the hell out of those hounds! // swoon #mglitchat -9:58 PM Oct 25th, 2012 
               
               
JeanGiardina Not ghosts/paranormal, but reading IN A GLASS GRIMMLY with the 8yo. It's brilliant. #mglitchat -9:58 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
PBWorkshop @dianezahler P&P resembles more typical Hollywood film situations, could be less terrifying than when I read it centuries ago. #mglitchat -9:58 PM Oct 25th, 2012        
               
               
JoWhittemore @ilanawaters BTW, Elementary isn't too bad if you must have a Sherlockian fix. #mglitchat -9:58 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
ilanawaters @JoWhittemore That scene in the pub was great. "THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME, I TELL YOU!" #mglitchat -9:59 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JeanGiardina @PBWorkshop Yeah. "Some of this old stuff is pretty cool!" #mglitchat -9:59 PM Oct 25th, 2012     
               
               
KDuBayGillis Figured if I was going to lurk, this was definitely the chat to do it. #mglitchat -9:59 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
PBWorkshop @JeanGiardina Did you also read Tale Dark and Grimm? Ever opt out when the narrator gives a warning? #mglitchat -9:59 PM Oct 25th, 2012         
               
               
JuleeMurphy @elliefalcone When a Monster Calls book trailer & audio book clip on my library wiki. Scroll down the page. #mglitchat http://t.co/KsN9Yq7F -9:59 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
JoWhittemore @ilanawaters There, there, my sweet Cumby. Jo will never leave you! :) #mglitchat -10:00 PM Oct 25th, 2012               
               
               
JoWhittemore @KDuBayGillis Hiyeeee! #mglitchat -10:00 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
JeanGiardina @dianezahler I'd love to re-read some of Poe's stuff. *makes note for book club* #mglitchat -10:00 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
ilanawaters @JoWhittemore Ugh. Thanks for rec, but am boycotting. They make Watson (the sidekick) female, but not Sherlock? No go. #mglitchat -10:00 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
ilanawaters @JeanGiardina @PBWorkshop Nervous. Um, what are these MG'ers doing that they relate to guilt so well? #mglitchat -10:01 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
JoWhittemore @ilanawaters Hey, at least one of them is female. We're getting somewhere! #mglitchat -10:01 PM Oct 25th, 2012          
               
               
Bec_AS @ilanawaters Is that for sexual tension??? #MGLitChat -10:01 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
elliefalcone @ilanawaters Bravo! That bothered me too. #mglitchat -10:02 PM Oct 25th, 2012    
               
               
JeanGiardina @PBWorkshop We read in little chunks. The 8yo also loves SoUE by Lemony Snicket so I hoped he'd dig the Grimm tales. #mglitchat -10:02 PM Oct 25th, 2012            
               
               
JoanneLevy I think I need to ghost out of here, friends. I'm fading... #mglitchat -10:02 PM Oct 25th, 2012             
               
               
PBWorkshop @ilanawaters Can be out of proportion, but MGers sometimes think they are to blame for EVERYTHING, including global warming! #mglitchat -10:02 PM Oct 25th, 2012  
               
               
dianezahler @JeanGiardina Husband just taught some. Recommends "Fall of the House of Usher" and "William Wilson." #mglitchat -10:02 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
               
               
elliefalcone LOL! RT @JoanneLevy: I think I need to ghost out of here, friends. I'm fading... #mglitchat -10:03 PM Oct 25th, 2012      
               
               
JeanGiardina @ilanawaters Let's just say I've found candy wrappers in the shower. I think they are hiding plenty of things. :) #mglitchat @PBWorkshop -10:03 PM Oct 25th, 2012   
               
               
JoWhittemore Well, folks, tonight's chat is officially over! Thanks for participating and feel welcome to stay and mingle! #mglitchat -10:03 PM Oct 25th, 2012       
                

No comments:

Post a Comment